Thursday, September 8, 2011

Freedom in Prison


One of the weekends, us girls had the opportunity to help put on a church service for a woman's prison. At first mention of this I was a bit nervous and unsure about it, what could I offer them. As we drove out there, I told a friend, who is involved in prison ministry, about the ministry we were about to embark on and asked if he could pray for us; he said he love to and gave me these two verses: Joshua 1:9

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

Matthew 10:16,19-20

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be as wise as serpents and harmless as doves... For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you."

I read those right as we pulled into the parking lot, and once we parked we got the low-down of what we could and could not do. As they were talking about the do's and don'ts, the anxiousness just built up inside me more! It's a felony if you bring your phone in, don't touch the prisoners, make sure there are no personal items in your bible or any extra notes or things in it, no chewing gum, no walking through the aisles and other little requirements that they weren't sure we could or couldn't do. One of the other things they had said was that this was their first time being able to come to this prison, because all the other times they had tried it had been canceled. That was one of the reasons for so many rules, because they weren't sure what they allowed here or weren't as sticked with, it all deepened on the guard and the Lord's favor.

When we stepped outside of the car it was super quiet, so quiet it seemed eerie. We walked inside and signed in, and then walked through to the prison yard where as far as the eye could see was a white line of women. As we made our way to the chapel we walked along side of them, and as we passed each one of their faces lit up and said, 'thank you so much for caring!' 'Thank you for coming!'. The line continued inside the building all the way to the actual chapel where, once they signed in, they sat down every other seat, fanning themselves with the song sheets we had set on their seats. We made our way to the front of the stage where, off to the right, were a couple row of seats where we were to sit. As we sat there waiting for them to finish filing in, I scanned the sea of faces; empty, hurt, alone, scared, bitterness, abandonment, filled the audience. Once they finished filing in, one of the lady's on the team got up and welcomed them all and gave a small introduction why we were here. She asked if we could thank the guard who counted them all as the came in so that they wouldn't have to interrupt the study or worship time.

During the worship service, Amy, the gal leading worship, did the song 'My Redeemer Lives' by Nicole C Mullens; she started singing and then her voice was over powered by the women. Lifting their hands, standing to their feet with tears streaming down their faces. I couldn't bring myself to sing for I was overcome with emotion, I looked over the crowd and through the see of faces you could see the depth of steeped emotion on their faces. Its was as if all the stored up emotions in their hearts gushed forth like a waterfall portrayed on their faces, through their tears. Their faces relayed their souls cry; some you could just see, they KNEW their Redeemer lived! Others you could see, their were claiming in faith that their Redeemer did indeed live and had not forgotten them. To be able to worship with these women was a privilege I don't think I will ever have again, but am so thankful I can't fully express my gratefulness! They were fellow sojourners who have walked through a lot, but had not lost all hope, most were still walking out those trails and were clinging to the hope we offered like water to a weary traveler wondering in the desert. To be able to offer that hope and to know that was all we could offer and to realize that was all they needed made me realize God truly is more than enough for me! He is the only thing I can offer to people that it, in and of itself, is more than enough for them! I don' have to add on any of my 'stuff' His Word is all they need to set their souls free! And though those women were physically prisoned, in their souls freedom rang out loud! They were free indeed because they knew, their Redeemer lived!

No comments: