"Courage is not the absence of fear but the willingness to do the thing we fear..." -Elisabeth Elliot
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Life's Not Fair, But God is Just
When I was little I it always frustrated me to no end when things went wrong, wasn't right or wasn't "fair". My Mama would always have to remind me saying, " No it's not fair, life isn't fair but God is just." I would reluctantly agree and try to go about my day without the incident of unfairness ruling it. I tell you this because not to long ago I was sitting at church and when we went to take communion it hit me just how amazing it is for us to be able to take communion. It reminded me of one of the days in a Bible study I had just finished, the day was titled "If you kept a record." The author went on to talk about Psalm 130 and the chilling reality that if the Lord kept a record, who could stand?! But that He doesn't, and that with Him there is forgiveness of sins, full redemption! As I knelt there on the floor with tears falling down on the broken cracker and little cup of juice I wondered in awe at how I, a shameful, filthy sinner could take this communion?! How could I take this holy offering, the offering of Christ's body broken to unrecognizable points and His blood flowing forth from His side and brow from the crown of thorns! I thought upon this and asked God, "How can I take this, I'm am so unworthy to even kneel here in your presence! It's not fair for me to be able to take advantage of this, it's not fair that Your Son should endure the cross the death of a murderer and thief such as me! It's not fair." The Lord reply sent chills up my spine, " No it's not fair.... But I am just." Hearing those words felt like a whorl wind of God's love had just blown in and caught me up in it. It was a wonderful reminder of God's ever faithful love that allows Him to put our sins in the sea of forgetfulness and cast them as far as the east is from the west. Sometimes we need a gentle reminder of just how far those depths and reach are. And though it isn't fair God is just.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment